Washington Electronic Liens & Titles (ELT)

Frequently Asked Questions about ELT in Washington:

Who do I contact in Washington when I have questions about liens or titles?

Dept. of Licensing Customer Service: 360-902-3770

Is the Washington ELT program mandatory?

Participation in the Washington ELT program is optional at this time.

How do I sign up for the ELT program?

Signing up with Washington is a multi-step process. The Washington DOL will work directly with you as a lender. Please find instructions on eTitleLien.com.

Does the ELT program apply to all vehicles titled by the DOL (boats, mobile homes)? What class of vehicles are not titled by the DOL?

Cars, boats, mobile homes, and motorcycles are titled. ELT works with all vehicles.

Can ELTs be released using a paper lien release document? If so, does the state send notice?

Yes with an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest. WA does not send a lien release notification. From the March 2008 ELT System Guide:

When a customer pays off their loan and cannot wait for the electronic title release transaction to be processed, the financial institution or their service bureau may issue a “system” produced ALOT ["Affidavit in Lieu of Title"] on their official letterhead which must be signed by a representative of the financial institution but does not need to be notarized. By signing off on an ALOT the financial institution releases all interest in the vehicle, however this will not remove their name from DOL’s database until another transfer transaction takes place. There is no cost to the financial institution for an ALOT.

How can I get a vehicle title record?

The WA DOL IVIPS program offers a "Vehicle/Vessel Inquiry" service that provides title history information. An account is required. DDI includes this inquiry in Premier eTitleLien™.

Premier eTitleLien® Decision Dynamics, Inc.